The Q&A Archives: Fall/Winter Flowering Perennials

Question: Can you list some perennials that will do well in partial shade and bloom in the winter. I live in California, near the San Francisco delta.

Answer: There are a few perennials that will bloom in late fall/winter/early spring in your area:

Gladiolus, planted in January, should bloom in March; freesias, planted in fall, should bloom in spring; Marguerites(Chrysanthemum frutescens), planted in spring, will bloom in fall and sometimes in winter; Ranunculus asiaticus, planted September-November, will bloom February-April.

You can fill in the blanks with annuals such as calendulas, cornflowers (Centaurea cyanis), Forget-me-nots (Myosotis sylvatica), nasturtiums, pansies, and sweet alyssum, all planted in late summer or fall, may make a winter appearance.