The Q&A Archives: Cover Crop Not Growing

Question: Before planting a winter cover crop of rye I spread Peletized Dolomite Limestone( Kleanlime) and tilled it in. Then I broadcast the rye seed. The rye hasn't come up yet. I dug around and found several seeds that appear to have started germination. Is there anything I can do to neutralize the Lime and then re-seed with Rye? It's just a small garden plot ~400 Sq. ft.<br>

Answer: I would leave the garden plot as is; the rye may yet emerge. Did you test your soil, and determine that it needs lime? If so, then you don't want to neutralize its effect--which is good because I can't think of an easy way to do so. If it's only been a week or 10 days since you planted, I would just be patient. If it's been longer, try reseeding and covering the area with a thin layer of straw or perhaps some floating row cover. I'm wondering whether by chance birds have been eating the seed and plucking up the new shoots.