The Q&A Archives: Starting Lavender

Question: I purchased 3 types of lavender seeds and started indoors in a sunny location, planted in seed starter soil with plastic over them for the "greenhouse" effect. However, it has been 2 weeks and only one shows signs of life.

The True Lavender and Lavender Lady have not sprouted. What have I done wrong?

P.S. I love your web site

Answer: Lvender can be erratic in germinating, so it is not yet time to give up. One caution I would suggest in reading through your procedures is to take care not to put the covered pots in direct sunlight while you are waiting for the seeds to germinate. The reason for this is the closed container can heat up like a parked car and overheat the seeds. The heat combined with the humidity can also cause the seeds to rot or invite fungal infection. Once the seeds germinate, remove the cover and move the plants to the brightest possible light. Lavender needs good air circulation and very bright light to do well. Enjoy your plants!