The Q&A Archives: Fresh Tomato Seeds

Question: I want to sow seeds of a fresh grape tomato, i removed the pulp and the seeds are drying in a paper towel. how
long do i have to wait for them to dry in order to sow them indoors or can they be started after a day or so of drying. it's almost seed starting time in my area and i want to start them with my other packaged seeds?

Answer: You should be able to plant them now. However, the tomato you took the seeds from is most likely a hybrid which means that the resulting plants may or may not resemble the parent and the tomatoes may or may not be similar. In addition, there is also a chance that the seed will not be viable, either due to it being a sterile hybrid or due to immaturity at the time the tomato was picked.

Although it is always fun to experiment, if you really want grape tomatoes this summer I would suggest you also try some of the retail seed. Burpee offers Christmas Grapes and the slightly larger but oblong shaped Juliet.