The Q&A Archives: Persian Violets

Question: The Persian Violet I have just purchased is wilting. I did read your library and did find one similar question regarding the plant. My question is I live in a desert, and I to keep my Violet indoors. Will my plant be able to survive in my climiate? It is not humid out here and the heat is dry. Am I battling a lost cause? Would the plant do better if I were to plant it outdoors?

Answer: These plants are very tricky to grow at home outside of a climate controlled greenhouse; they also shock easily when moved from that ideal environment to the typical home. They need warmth and humidity. (It would not survive winter or your dry climate outdoors.)You might be able to grow it indoors under a humidity dome or in a terrarium-like arrangement where the humidity can be maintained more easily.