The Q&A Archives: Ornamental Grasses Brown

Question: I planted new grasses last fall. I watered them and put mulch around them for the winter. They are like straw. I heard you are supposed to cut them back, so I did this week (March 21). There isn't a hint of green anywhere on these grasses. I cut them down to the ground and left about 2 inches of dead, dry stubs. I am not a gardener, but would like to become one (highly unlikely) but I try. My question: Will these grasses come back this summer, and how tall will they get in one year??? The tag on the pots said they should grow up to 6 feet.

Answer: So far it sounds like you have done everything right. The plants should start to grow shortly and they do reach amazing sizes by the end of the season. Enjoy!