The Q&A Archives: Perennial Container Garden For My Townhouse Patio.

Question: As a novice gardner and new townhome owner, how do I go about building a verticle perennial container garden on my brick patio(to fill a space that measures 11 1/2 ft.{the lenght of the adjoinging patio area} X 3-4 ft. wide) to give me some attractive year round privacy from my neighbor's patio? The patio is very long, so I can afford to lose this space or even some more. I am totally confused by the books I have purchased and they are very expensive.
Thank you very much.

Answer: Gardening is always a matter of trial and error, at least to some extent, and can often seem confusing until you give things a try. The main concern with selecting plants is how much light they will receive. The next concern with patio planting is providing as much soil space as possible. If your area is sunny, you might try growing some annual vines from seed in very large pots, half barrels or drywall buckets or similar containers. Make sure there is a drainage hole in the bottom of the container and plant the seeds after your last expected frost date. Keep the soil moist but not soggy by watering as needed, fertilizse regularly with a water soluble fertilizer, and provide them something to climb on such as a trellis panel or section of open wooden fencing such as picket style or even some netting stretched between supports. You could try sunloving plants such as morning glories, moonflowers, nasturtiums and cypress vine for example. I hope this gives you some ideas.