The Q&A Archives: Watering Systems For Cold Frames

Question: Can you tell me how to water seedlings in a cold frame. Is it a misting system? What are your recommendations...and where might I be able to purchase such items?

Answer: In most cases you would want to avoid misting the seedlings as cool damp conditions plus poor air circulation are conducive to disease problems. In my experience, the best way to water is carefully with a watering can. If you have many seedlings, you could use a hose end watering wand with the adjustable water flow set on a very gentle stream. You may find that they do not need watering much at the start since the weather is cool and they are protected from the wind. Make sure that your cold frame is vented during the day to keep it from overheating and drying them out or even "cooking" them.