The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus Care After Coming From The Florist

Question: We recently received two Hibiscus plant from a florist. They were full of buds ready to burst and did one at a time and then fell off after a day. We can never get them to bloom again. I suspect we are not treating them properly. Please tell me what they need for light, water, temperature and feeding.

Answer: It's more likely that they suffer shock. Many flowering plants from florists just don't do well in the home environment, because they are coddled and forced in a greenhouse with "perfect" conditions. They are sometimes treated with a growth retardant to keep them compact. These plants are usually considered as "throwaways" after they finish blooming. If you want to try, it takes full sun to bright light, needs to be kept evenly moist, prefers some humidity, warm to normal room temperatures, and should be fed with a fertilizer higher in phosphorus than nitrogen (the middle number). Good luck!