The Q&A Archives: Brown Tipped Foliage On Dutch Irises

Question: My dutch irises have the foliage fully grown but are getting brown tips on the edges of the foliage. Is there something I can do to fix this? Does it happen to other bulb types?

Answer: That can be caused by a variety of factors, including sun that is too intense, being stressed for water, or salt burn. Salts in the water and in fertilizer build up over time. Browning usually occurs on the old leaves first. This excess salt accumulates in the leaf edges, where it kills the tissue and the leaf dries out and turns brown. It's important to water deeply and slowly. Frequent, light "sprinklings" allow salts to accumulate in the top layers of soil, where the roots are, which is bad news. Similar symptoms occur when too much fertilizer has been applied. Make sure plants aren't stressed for water, that you are watering correctly, and perhaps protect plants from hot afternoon sun. Finally, yes, it can happen to any plant.