The Q&A Archives: Floral Favors For July Wedding

Question: My daughter, for her wedding at the end of July, would like to have small pots of tiny flowers for favors for the guests, preferably wild flowers or sweet alyssum. Which flowers do you suggest that we can plant from seed and have in bloom for that week?

Answer: Often a seed packet will tell you how long it takes from sowing seeds to first bloom. For instance, sweet alyssum averages 56-63 days. However, days to maturity are just a guideline, because so many factors can influence the growth rate. I recommend sowing several sets a week apart to make sure you aren't disappointed. Some wildflowers are challenging to germinate and grow, so I'd stick with the alyssum. If you have a greenhouse you can use, you may be able to persuade violas or ageratum to be in bloom in time for the wedding. And my final advice is to have a backup plan for favors in case the plants don't grow as expected. Best of luck!