The Q&A Archives: Flowers for Full Sun

Question: I am going to be planting all the way around one side of my house and I'm hoping to have flowers all season. Can you please suggest some flowers that will work in full sun and can be planted in the same area to maintain flowers all season?

Answer: For perennials, consider coreopsis, yarrow, butterfly weed (asclepias), lavender, catmint, gaillardia. For bulbs, try bearded iris, gayfeather (liatris), and glads. For sun-loving foliage plants consider herb plants such as artemesia and sage, which have interesting colors and textures.

Warm-season annuals that take heat and sun include sunflowers, tithonia, zinnia, coreposis, cosmos, gaillardia, black-eyed Susan, coneflower, lisianthus, petunia, and vinca.

A perennial book which includes charts for flowering periods and colored photos is Sunset Perennials ISBN 0-376-03573-0.
Sunset Annuals ISBN 0-376-03064-X contains charts for annuals. You can use the charts to determine when plants bloom to keep the color show going.