The Q&A Archives: Green Bugs On Roses

Question: Green, furry bugs have infested all my rose bushes. I've been researching, but I cannot find out what the name of the bugs are. I have tried spraying the roses with "rose insect killer," but nothing will kill these bugs. Please help.

Answer: Green, furry bugs could describe mealybugs or hordes of aphids, but without seeing them, I'm not sure exactly what these insect pests might be. Before trying to control them, why not collect a few in a plastic film container or pill bottle and take or send them to your local Cooperative Extension office for positive identification? Once you know "who" you're dealing with, you'll be able to find the right control. Contact UC Extension at (323) 838-8330 for guidance. Good luck with your roses!