The Q&A Archives: I Have Wild Morninglories Taking Over My Garden And I Don't Want Them

Question: I have these morninglories that come up every year and strangle my flowers. I can't get rid of them. I have tried dead-heading so they don't spread and I have tried pulling them up in the early spring,but by July they have taken over my garden and I can't get rid of them. Help, I don't want to dig up my whole garden because I did that on one side and it didn't work. Maybe I can plant something else that will take out these buggers.

Answer: This is an instance where you may want to try an herbicide containing glyphosate. Read and follow the label instructions carefully; you may need to repeat the application because these vines have tremendous root reserves. Since the vines are in among your plants, you may want to use a wipe-on application method rather than spray. Other than that, you may be able to exhaust the weed by repeatedly clipping it off at the ground and then covering it with a piece of cardboard topped off with a thick layer of mulch so that it receives no light, but this is an extremely pernicious pest.