The Q&A Archives: What Type Of Flowers Can I Grow In New York

Question: hi
i need some help with garden in new york ( Bronx ) this is my first time doing this i just brought my first house and don't no what tpye of flower or bulbs i can buy from you
and what tpye of soil

Answer: You can grow a huge variety of plants in your area, so your choice will be determined based on the growing conditions in your yard (for example, amount of sun, water, soil type, wind), the amount of time you want to spend on gardening, and on your personal taste in plants. Since you are so new to this, I would suggest you read a book or two about gardening so you can make better decisions. One I particularly like is "Gardening For Dummies" by Michael MacCaskey, ISBN 1-56884-644-4, because it is very straightforward and practical. It will walk you through evaluating the growing conditions, making a landscape plan, selecting the plants, planting them and then caring for them afterwards. Enjoy your new yard!