The Q&A Archives: Tullip Bulbs Are Sprouting

Question: I have some tullip bulbs that I didn't get planted last fall. They are in a plastic bag and are starting to sprout. Can I plant them indoors. If they can be planted indoors, what type of soil should I get? Should I add anything to the soil? How deep should they be planted?

Answer: It is very late (end March)to try to force these bulbs, mainly because they need a chilling period of several months in order to grow and bloom like they should. You could try it, since the alternative is to throw them away. Place them in a pot of soilless potting mix, using a pot with drainage holes in the bottom. Water the bulbs and place them in a cool location as would be found in a refrigerator. Leave them there for approximately three months, checking occasionally for roots emerging from the bottom and growth tips. When you see roots, bring the pot up into a bright cool area (where you will find this in mid summer I am not sure) where it will bloom in several weeks to a month.