The Q&A Archives: Heat And Impatiens

Question: Hello, I have Impatiens on a 4 tier growing rack (The one that you sell) with a plastic cover over it. The plants are about 2 inches tall now. I have 3 fluorescent lights in it also. The temperature gets up to about 81 degress when the lights are on and the humidity is about 80%. The lights are on for about 9 hours. I want to keep the plastic cover on to keep my cats from eating the plants. Is this heat to high for the impatiens?

Answer: Impatiens like heat and humidity, however they may become leggy with only 9 hours of light combined with such a warm temperature. They may also fall prey to fungal problems without some better air circulation. You might want to try making some sort of air-permeable cage (would chicken wire work?) to keep the cat away from the plants, or move them to a room where the cat is not allowed.