The Q&A Archives: Flowers for Southern Exposure

Question: I live in northern Utah and have a small flower garden on the south side of my house. I have very little time to spend on it, but want something that looks nice. What flowers would you recommend?

Answer: I assume since you have little time, you'd prefer annuals, which have longer bloom periods and are simply pulled out at the end of the season. Warm-season annuals that take heat and sun from a southern exposure include sunflowers, tithonia, zinnia, coreposis, cosmos, gaillardia, black-eyed Susan, coneflower, lisianthus, petunia, and vinca. If you decide you want some perennials (which need to be cut back and covered for the winter), consider coreopsis, yarrow, butterfly weed (asclepias), lavender, catmint, gaillardia. For bulbs, try bearded iris, gayfeather (liatris), and glads. For sun-loving foliage plants consider herb plants such as artemesia and sage, which have interesting colors and textures. The plants or seedlings will need regular moisture in order to become well established and look their best, but once they are going strong, they should require little upkeep.