The Q&A Archives: Tulips

Question: I emailed you a couple of days ago about someting eating my tulips. I was informed to be more specific, I did as you said and went outside with a flash light and after observing a few of them I found a snail (slug) on one of the leaves. What is the best solution for these pest? I previously put down snail repelent and put beer in a couple of small containers at ground level. None of these treatments seem to be working, beacause the pest are still around. Would a lot of rainfall keep the pellets from working?

Answer: Rain tends to hamper most anti-slug and snail methods. In addition to the pellets (read and follow the label instructions with these) and traps, you can try sprinkling diatomaceous earth (horticulture grade from the garden center, not the kind for swimming pools) on the soil surface around the plants. This will also need to be reapplied after rain, but in my experience the pests need only contact it once to be done in. You can also catch them by hand (I use barbecue tongs) and drop them into soapy water. Pushing aside mulch temporarily can also help to destroy their daytime hiding places.