The Q&A Archives: Replacing grass with groundcover

Question: I have a small strip of grass about 1.5 x50 feet in front of my house that is difficult to mow because it is in front of a wall. I would like to replace all the grass with something else that I wouldn't have to deal with. I live in Willow Grove, PA and the area is well drained and very sunny. I've thought about low-growing wildflowers as an inexpensive solution. What do you think? Do you have a wildflower mix that might work well in this situation or is there an inexpensive ground cover that you might recommend?

Answer: Sowing wildflower seed is a fun solution. Burpee offers a couple of nice mixes for you: Native Naturalized Northeastern Wildflowers and North American Perennial Wildflowers . Both are on page 57 of our catalog. Although both would provide a colorful and interesting seasonal splash that the neighbors would talk about, in the long run your best bet for the narrow strip might be a permanent groundcover such as Sedum Dragon's Blood (loves dry sun) or Vinca minor (prefers shade).

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"