The Q&A Archives: planting

Question: I was just mailed my hybrid pansies, and there is snow on the ground! What do I do with the plants?

Answer: Ideally your pansies should have been shipped to you in Septemer or October so they'd have some time to settle in before things get really cold. First, you should contact the vendor to find out why they shipped so late! You can try to grow them as houseplants for the winter - keep them in bright window, but out of direct sunlight, and keep them moist, feeding them monthly with bloom-enhancing plant food. Otherwise, you can pot them up and keep them in a cool (40-45F), dimly lit place for the winter. Water sparingly, and check them often to make sure the soil doesn't dry completely. You can plant them in spring. They may not perform as well as they would have if they'd been planted this fall, but hopefully you can work that out with the supplier. Good luck!