The Q&A Archives: Growing Strawberries In Containers

Question: Hello,
I have a small garden but would like to grow strawberry plants. How do I do this in a container and can I purchase strawberry plants from Burpee or just seeds.

Answer: Growing strawberries in a container is possible using something like a strawberry jar or perhaps a larger container such as a half barrel. They need a good rich soil with good drainage. The best plants to grow this way are those that bear all season because it is difficult to overwinter the plants. Alternatively you might consider growing them in a raised bed or in a strawberry pyramid such as Burpee offers in this year's catalog. Burpee offers several varieties of everbearing and day neutral strawberries as well as an alpine variety that would do well in a container. To check availability or order you may want to call Burpee direct at 800-888-1447. Enjoy your strawberries!