The Q&A Archives: growing from seed

Question: I have some Canna Lily, Daylily and some Palm tree seeds. I have not been able to get them to grow. Does anything special need to be done to get them to grow?

Answer: Daylily seeds must be stratified before planting. Place the seeds in a plastic bag of moist peat, and refrigerate for 6 weeks. You can start them inside 8-10 weeks before transplanting to the garden (after last frost). Plant seeds in early spring or latesummer if you want to grow them in outdoor beds.<br><br>Cannas aren't that easy to start from seed. Here's what breeders do to ensure that their's germinate: file a small nick in the seed coat so the seed can soak up water. Sow seeds in sandy-peat soil, maintain even moisture and soil temperatures between 75-90F. If you choose not to go through all this trouble, they'll probably still sprout, but will do so sporadically over the next several months. <br><br>Palm seeds need to be fresh in order to germinate (within 3 weeks to three months, depending on the species). To plant fresh seeds, prepare starter pots or flats with firmly-packed, well-draining, peaty potting soil. Press the seeds into the soil surface, and cover with soil to a depththat equals the width of the seeds. Keep them warm and evenly moist, and they should germinate within a few weeks.