The Q&A Archives: Specific Type Of Fertilizer For Shrubs

Question: What type of fertilizer should I use for the following bushes: rose-glow japanese barberry, goldflame spireaea, creeping silver euonymus, and dwarf lilac bush? On the tags attached to the plants it says "a general purpose" fertilizer. Are we talking about a 5-10-5, or acid-loving, or what? The nursery I purchased these plants from sell only one brand of fertilizer and it's very expensive. No other store in my area sells this brand.

Answer: Ideally you would run some basic soil tests and fertilize based on the results of the tests. They would tell you how much (and if) you need to fertilize or if your pH needs to be adjusted. In general, one would use a multipurpose granular fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or 5-10-5 according to the fertilizer's label instructions and/or some compost. These shrubs do not need a particularly acid soil and are not exacting in their requirements.