The Q&A Archives: Aerating The Lawn

Question: I am thinking of aerating, weeding(with Halts Preventer)/feeding (K-Gro Premium) and overseeding my lawn soon. What should be the sequence? Can I do them immediately one after another? Will the weeds / Halts preventer affect the overseeding?

Answer: Weeding and feeding can usually be done at the same time, many products are available to do both at once. Weeding will prevent the lawn seed from germinating, and a high nitrogen fertilizer may be too strong for new grass. (Be sure to read and follow the label instructions of whatever you use.)

The best time to seed or overseed a lawn is in the fall so the new grass has time to become established from the roots before it is pressured to grow fast the following spring.

Fall is also a good time to fertilize moderately, it is when the grass plants are building their root reserves. In spring, then, a lesser amount of fertilizer could be applied if a quicker greening is desired.

Core areation is done occasionally if needed to combat soil compaction or to help incorporate additional organic matter in the soil. It is a bit stressful to existing plants since it pulls out plugs of lawn, so it would not be done to a newly seeded area.