The Q&A Archives: Zone 3 Vines - Clematis

Question: I'm looking for a clematis that is hardy in my zone, which is 3. I'm looking for a flowering vine that will do well in a partial sun situation with good sandy soil. I orginally wanted a Nelly Moser because it blooms twice a year, but now that I read about it, it sounds like it won't do well in our climate.

Can you advise on what clematis will do well, and bloom a lot and will grow on our arbor that is a small 3 x 7 feet?

Answer: 'Nelly Moser' is hardy to -30F and is one of the most popular varieties grown in the Pacific Northwest. It should thrive in your garden. Other choices for your zone 3 garden would be 'Anna Louise', with purple and cream blooms, or 'Daniel Deronda', with violet-blue flowers. This one blooms from June-August and reaches about 10' in height.