The Q&A Archives: What Kinds Of Perenials Can I Grow Under A Tree Rose In A Container

Question: I have just planted a 36" "iceberg" tree rose in a 16" diameter wide and 13" tall pot, can you tell me if this pot is big enough?
I want to grow some perenials in the same pot to accent the tree rose but don't know what to plant. I know that I need to plant something that have shorter roots so they don't compete with the rose, but how do I find out if the perenials I like have short roots? I have planted trailing rosemary, I heard it is good for the rose too, can you suggest other plants that will look great with the tree rose?

Answer: First off, the container will be fine for a year or two, but you'll eventually want to provide a 3 to 5 gallon pot for your tree rose. Roses need lots of root room. Here are suggestions for good rose companions: Achillea clavennae (Silver yarrow), Armeria maritima (Sea pink), Aurinia saxatilis (Basket-of-Gold), Campanula (Bellflower), Dianthus (Sweet William), Iberis sempervirens (Candytuft), Verbena, Lobelia, Petunia, Zinnia elegans, Chamomile, Fennel, Lavender, Parsley, Rosemary or Sage.