The Q&A Archives: Is This Liquidambar Cv.aurora?

One person suggested CV.Aurora - could this be a match???

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated. I am more than happy to email you some detailed .jpeg pics which would assist you in this matter.

Thank you.

Answer: According to Michael Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants," Aurora is a variegated form of Liquidambar styraciflua and thus would not be a likely match. In my quick review I did not find any likely matches, however that does not mean the tree was never introduced at some time either in this country or elsewhere. It could also, of course, be a seedling.

You might want to consult with the Saratoga Horticultural Foundation to see if they might be able to help you identify it. They have introduced some named varieties of Liquidambar and thus might conceivably be familiar with this one. Their web site address is:

mailing address:
15185 Murphy Avenue
San Martin, CA 95046

Good luck with your quest.