The Q&A Archives: Wilting Leaves On Tulips And Red Vein Looking Marks On Some Leaves.

Question: We just moved into our house in November and have no idea what was planted. Now that it's spring time there are tulips coming up. Some looked normal others had purple markings on them. Almost like veins. What is that? Also my tulips are wilting, any suggestions?

Answer: Some varieties of tulip have naturally marked leaves, with red veins and spots or speckles on them. These leaves tend to be shorter than typical tulip foliage and also spread out wider open, and could be almost an appearance of wilting. I suspect what you are seeing is a planting of some of these very long lived, specialty varieties of tulip. They also bloom earlier than the taller tulips.