The Q&A Archives: Beg. Gardener - Seeds Starting - Basic Questions

Question: As a new gardener, I know virtually nothing. I have started some seeds indoors. When I read the directions on the package it showed only using one seed per container. I am speaking of Hollyhocks and Four O'Clocks specifically. I have planted the seeds in small containers and wonder if one seed was enough per container or should I add more?

Answer: Ultimately you will want only one plant per container. If you achieve 100 percent germination then you need only seed per container. If you have plenty of space, then this approach is fine and you can discard those that do not sprout. It is pretty unusual to get that high a rate, so typically one might use two or three of the above seeds per container. If germination is excellent, you can transplant the extra seedlings to their own containers later or simply the select the best one and snip off the others. I hope this helps.