The Q&A Archives: Lifting & Replanting Bulbs

Question: I rearranged some beds last year and now my bulbs are blooming in places I don't necessarily want them to. Is it OK to lift them after they've bloomed and replant them in Fall with some new bulbs, in a better area? How should I store them in the interim? Thanks!

Answer: Although bulbs can be lifted and stored dry in an airy location once their foliage has matured and died back naturally, it is usually easier in my experience, to transplant the bulbs earlier in the season. They can be moved before, during or after bloom. Water them well ahead of time, dig with a good root ball, replant immediately at the same depth it grew before and water well to settle the soil and eliminate air pockets. Most bulbs will not know they have been moved.