The Q&A Archives: Vines

Question: I am looking for a vine that will cover fast and has nice color. I want something that will
stay on my chain fence year after year and has little cutting back and would be able to
handle cold winters(about 20 degrees) and hot summers ranging from(80 to 105 degrees).
Any suggestions out there?

Answer: Some evergreen vines for your gardening region include Bougainvillea, Clematis armandii, Clytostoma (violet trumpet vine), Clerodendrum (Bleeding Heart Glorybower) and Lonicera (honeysuckle). Deciduous vine considerations include Parthenocissus, Ipomoea indica (morning glory vine), grape, and Humulus lupulus (common hop). Full descriptions of these plants can be found in Sunset Western Garden Book - hope at least one of these appeals to you!