The Q&A Archives: Fast Growing Hedge That Is Heat Tolerant

Question: I live in a suburb of Phoenix, Arizona. I need a fast growing hedge that will get to at least 6 ft. tall and have a dense and wide spread. I am putting in a soaker system so it doesn't need to be drought tolerant, but definately needs to be heat tolerant. Any suggestions?

Answer: Oleander makes a great screening hedge when it isn't pruned excessively, so don't judge it by those terrible balls and cubes. There are some fabulous ones in older parts of the city. Arizona rosewood is a native plant that would work. Bougainvillea will fill in a large area very densely, but its thorns can be a problem, depending on space. (However, they help to keep intruders out.) Cape honeysuckle is a possibility, but it can suffer from chlorosis.