The Q&A Archives: Seedlings In Container .

Question: Hi,

I have started a few annuals like strawflower, calendula and carnations .The seedlings have grown to a transplanting stage. I live in an apartment and am planning to raise them in containers . Can you please advise me on how many seedlings can be planted in a 10 inch planter .

Answer: Strawflowers usually grow about two and a half to three feet tall, so you might try two or three in the container with the possibility that they need to be thinned later. Calendula might fit three to five plants in one container, especially if you harvest the flowers often. Carnations are usually large plants, too, although again there are different varieties of dianthus. You might try three plants in one container and thin later if they become too crowded.