The Q&A Archives: How Far To Space Seeds/seedlings?

Question: Where do I find out how far apart to put each kind of plant? I know they are not to be too close, but how close is too close? I am especially concerned about vines like pumpkins and cucumbers. And what about cauliflower and tomatoes?

Answer: An excellent reference for you would be Vegetable Gardening for Dummies by Charlie Nardozzi. It contains spacing information in a chart. The general guideline is to thin seedlings for the mature size of the plant so it can grow to its full size without crowding. This info may or may not be in catalog descriptions or on seed packs. Seeds are usually sown more closely to allow for seeds that won't germinate. Nardozzi provides the following guidelines for spacing between plants/spacing between rows, all in inches:

tomatoes: 18-36 inches/24-48
cauliflower: 14-24 inches/24-36
cukes: 24-48/48-72
pumpkins: 36-48/60-96