The Q&A Archives: Hardy Magnolia Grandiflora

Question: I would like a hardy Magnolia Grandiflora to grow in southern zone 6. It will have full sun, but little protection from winter winds (house will be 20 feet north of it).

Can you recommend one? I'm really interested in magnolia grandiflora rather than soulangiana.

Also, do you know which of your retailers would carry it, and when?

Answer: With this tree as with many evergreens, winter protection from cold and drying winds can be critical to their survival. In some cases a particularly exposed location can mean the difference between survival and failure -- it can make up to a half a zone of difference, or more. The Magnolia grandflora would be marginally hardy in a warm zone 6 location, so I would strongly suggest you consult with both your County Extension (678-7807) and your local nursery or garden center as to whether or not it is a wise selection for the location you have in mind. You may use the following web page to locate retailers for Monrovia products in your area.

You would need to contact them individually to verify their stock on hand or shipping schedules.