The Q&A Archives: Planting Grape Tomatoes

Question: I am growing Christmas Grape tomatoes for the first time and wonder if they can be grown successfully in
a hanging container. I had great success with Sweet 100 and Sweet Million varieties previously and would
prefer to keep part of my garden fallow for main crop tomatoes next year if possible. The seed packet does
not state how high the plants are likely to grow, and the hanging basket in question will be about five feet
above the ground.

Answer: Christmas Grapes grow in clusters, just like cherry tomatoes, but the plants are indeterminate (unlike cherry tomatoes). With a little pinching back if they threaten to outgrown their home, they should be happy in a hanging basket. Grape tomatoes are some of the sweetest I've ever tasted!