The Q&A Archives: New Leaves Turning Brown On My Daylilies

Question: I planted daylilies (several kinds) two years ago. The new shoots last year and again this year come up green but turn brown on the ends soon after sprouting. The lilies never appeared very healthy last year. I would like them to appear thicker, more vigorous and healthy this year. Any suggestions?

Answer: Daylilies do best in a rich soil with ample moisture and a location in full sun all day long. They also appreciate several inches of organic mulch year round. In early spring and again in early summer, a top dressing of compost and/or all purpose granular fertilizer may be applied. Sometimes the new growth is damaged by frosts, and some varieties seem to suffer some foliar discoloration early in the season and then recover and look fine. You might want to take a sample and/or photo to your county extension to make sure there is nothing unusual happening, however.