The Q&A Archives: I Have Fuzzy Vines Growing Up My Trees?

Question: I have vines that look fuzzy growing up my the trees in my yard? Do you know what type they are? How can I get rid of them? I also other vines climbing my trees how can I get rid of those?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am unable to identify the vines with any certainty, although poison ivy vines give the impression of being hairy when they are bare of leaves. Another possibility would include Virginia Creeper which clings by small holdfasts and might seem a bit hairy. You might want to take a photo to your UMASS Extension for a more precise identification, since removing an extensive amount of poison ivy can be hazardous. They can also help you determine the best way to remove them.