The Q&A Archives: When Do You Plant Peonies?

Question: I have been given several answers as to when to plant peonies. You sell the roots so were those suppose to be planted last fall? Is it better to buy the plants and plant them now or later in the spring? I really want some of these garden treasures and I can't get a straight answer.

Answer: The traditional time to dig and divide (and replant) peonies is in the fall. However, peony "eyes" may also be planted in the early spring, and container-grown peonies may be planted at any time during the growing season or in fact, at any time the soil can be dug. Mid summer would be the least desirable time to plant, however, due to the potential for heat and drought stress on the newly developing root system. I hope this answers your question.