The Q&A Archives: White Bugs On Venus Fly Trap

Question: I've noticed that there are very small little white bugs in the soil of my venus fly trap plant. They don't look like maggots to me. I was wondering if you knew what the bugs are and if they'll hurt my plant. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Answer: Your plant probably has an infestation of fungus gnats. Generally the adults aren't harmful. The eggs they lay turn into maggots that feed on decaying organic debris. The gnats prefer moist soil conditions, so wait until the top of the soil has dried out before watering your plant. If you're growing plants that require constantly moist soil, place an inch or two of decorative rocks on the soil surface to keep the gnats from accessing the soil to feed and breed.