The Q&A Archives: How Can I Gen Azaleas And Rhodadendroms To Produce Flowers

Question: How can I get azaleas and rhodadendroms (incorrect spelling?) to produce abundant flowers? Presently, my plats have brown leaves.

Brad Herndon

Answer: These plants are very particular about their growing conditions. If you can meet their requirements, they should bloom for you assuming they are truly winter hardy enough for your area. Some azaleas in particular are less hardy than others.

These plants require an acidic soil that is rich in humus so that it stays evenly moist, but it must also be well drained. They will not grow well at all on a heavy clay soil.

The plants need partial to full sun. They must be protected from wind.

They should be mulched year round with several inches of organic mulch, and they may need watering during the summer dry spells.

The evergreen types may benefit from an application of an antitranspirant spray in the winter time, according to the label instructions.

Finally, the plants bloom on old wood, so do not prune them during the summer or fall. If any shaping is needed, it should be done immediately after they bloom.

I hope this helps you trouble shoot.