The Q&A Archives: Mushrooms

Question: I have a problem with mushroom growing in the red mulch in the flower beds. last year I was told to use lime. this dose not work. I have three dogs and I worry they will eat them and get sick. I simply Can't keep up with the mushroom to take them out every day. Please help!

Answer: The mushrooms are a natural part of the decay process and will continue to grow until conditions become unfavorable for them. Eventually they should exhaust themselves, or may disappear when the weather turns drier and warmer.

You might try (experiment on a test area first) topping off the mulch with another type of material (other than wood based) such as shredded hardwood bark or cocoa shells or even straw and see if that is enough of a change to stop them. Alternatively, you could remove and replace the mulch with a different kind, but again, experiment on a test area first. You might also consider a fence to keep the dogs away from the mulch. Last but not least, you might find an expert who could identify the mushrooms and tell you if they would be poisonous, or not. In the case of mushrooms, there is always a possibility that a small child might eat them, too.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"