The Q&A Archives: Black Zorro Pansy

Question: I started a large quantity of black zorro pansies, and they are doing very well, some have even starting to flower. My question is, why aren't they black? I looked in Burpee's website and saw a picture of them and they were black, mine are a dark lavendar/purple. I bought them because I needed a truly black flower and these are most definitely not black.

Answer: Unfortunately, there really aren't any truly black flowers. For instance, if you look closely at the so called black hollyhock, you will see that it is a very deep maroon. The black pansies and violas are called "black" but it is used as a relative term. Sometimes you can affect the impression of the color by using a different kind of lighting or by changing the colors of the plants next to the "black" flowers. I am sorry you are disappointed.