The Q&A Archives: Have My Coleus "applause" Seen Their Last Curtain?

Question: I have been looking for information on Coleus Applause and cannot find any guidance. Maybe you can help. I planted coleus in our garden last year. It did great (I love this plant!) In the fall, the leaves turned brown and the winds were tearing at the plant. So, I cut the plant back to the ground. We live in zone 5 and had a more harsh winter than normal. It is now spring (April 15) and the temperatures have been great with a great balance of rain and sun. My coleus looks dead. There are no signs of life. How do I know if this plant is going to come back? What should I do? Do I simply need to be patient? Was this the wrong protocol for caring for the coleus? Thank you.

Answer: Unfortunately, coleus does not tolerate freezing weather so it is dead. Next time, you can bring the plant indoors for the winter or root some tip cuttings and bring them indoors for the winter, before frost. That way you will have new plants for the following season. I'm sorry!