The Q&A Archives: Dying Chindo Viburnum

Question: Last fall I planted a Monrovia Chindo Sweet Viburnum. It did fine all winter until about the time the ground thawed. It has slowly been dying since about the first of march. The leaves are just wilting, curling and drying up. They are also sometimes turning black. It almost seems like the plant is burning. I did not fertilize when I planted.I think its too soon to be fungal and I don't see any bugs.
Please help.

Answer: Based on your description I am unable to diagnose the problem with certainty, although it is possible it is in an overly wet location and suffering as a result. I would suggest you take a sample and a photo to your county extension (727-7850) for consultation. You might also check with the nursery where you purchased the plant, especially if it had a warranty.