The Q&A Archives: Morning Glory

Question: Hi, I am trying to find out what will eliminate the morning glory that grows wild I have tried roundup, crossbow, and diazanon, Do you have any suggestions? The morning glory chokes off my rasberries and various other plants.

Thank you Dorothy

Answer: Wild morning glory, or field bindweed, is difficult to control once established. It forms a deep, extensive root system and pulling the tops only encourages new sprouts from the roots. To kill it, cultivate or hoe every 6 weeks throughout the growing season; this eventually weakens the root system. Don't let bindweed set seed; the hard-coated seeds can sprout even after lying dormant in the soil for years. An herbicide containing trifluralin may provide pre-emergence control around many ornamentals. In mid-summer, when bindweed is growing vigorously but has not yet set seed, spot-treat patches with glyphosate, taking care to avoid contact with desirable plants.