The Q&A Archives: Compatible Plantings

Question: We have seedless grapes planted on a grape arbor. I would like to plant Morning Glory seeds to add color to the arbor. Would the Morning Glory plants be harmful to the grapes. If so, what climbing flowers would be compatible?

Answer: Most often, grapes are planted alone. I believe the reason for this is to allow the grapes the maximum anount of sunshine and soil moisture and fertility so that they can produce better.

You might experiment with a morning glory (or any annual vine you like) or two and see what happens. The grapes might outcompete the morning glories so that the display is poor; it is also possible that the morning glories would twine themselves tightly around the grape and constrict it in some way. It is also possible it would work out fine, in truth I have never seen this done.