The Q&A Archives: Temperatures To Drop To 30s

Question: None of my spring flowering bushes are in flower yet but the night low temperatures are to be 30-35 for the next week. Do I need to do something to my lilacs, Korean Spice, and other such bushes? These bushes are only a year old but still are capable of a beautiful spring show.

Answer: Unless there is a hard freeze, temperatures in the upper 20's, the buds should be just fine. If the flowers have already begun to open there is not too much we can do. You might try draping a sheet or a spun woven garden row cover or frost blanket over top of the shrubs for just that little extra protection. In general though there isn't much we can do about the weather except cross our fingers. It may damage buds but it will not kill the shrubs.