The Q&A Archives: Choice Of Tree

Question: I just returned from a trip to Orange County in southern California. I saw some beautiful trees that to me (not a gardening expert in any way!) resembled a magnolia tree. They had a very strong curvy bark with no leaves but these brilliant red flowers. I was told by people living in the area that they are coral trees. Would this tree grow well in northern California (I'm in the Sacramento area)?

Answer: There are several species of Erythrina (Coral Tree) but only one will grow in your gardening region. E. crista-galli, the common coral tree, is a semi-evergreen shrub or tree growing 15'-20' tall and nearly as wide. It grows larger in frost-free areas and can bloom three times each year if conditions are right. If you plant one, try to provide an area protected from wind.